While I love and appreciate my hair’s vibe in it shrunken state, I also like to play with my ‘real’ length. If you are a woman with natural curly/kinky hair, then you know shrinkage is a part of life. However we can combat shrinkage in many ways (twist-outs, braid-outs, blow-outs, etc). My go to combat method is braid outs. I love the fact that as the days go on the style looks bigger and better.
I braid my hair at night because if I go to bed. Without doing something I wake up with a shrunken fro. If I am going for that look then its fine.
The picture on the left is the first day of the braid-out and the second picture is the second day. I prefer the second day because it looked fuller and shows more length.
My Braid-Out RoutineHow I did it:
- After hair is cleaned I section my hair (2 in the front, one in the middle, and 2 to the back). I make sure to part the front of my hair how I the hair to fall.
- To each section I spray my spritz. See My Winter Hair Care post for ingredients.
- Add oil of choice and then Moisturize with Shea Moisture Smoothie
- Make 2 braids out of each section. I add a small amount of Organic Aloe Vera Gel to the section and then braid tightly.
- When I have about an inch of hair left I do two strand twists to the end. This makes it curly and nice when they are unraveled. Repeat until head is done.
- Put satin scarf on and head to bed.
- Next day I put oil in my hands and begin unraveling the braids carefully.
- Separate carefully to not cause frizz and you’re DONE!
How I maintain it:
- At night I re-braid but larger this time around. If it feels dry then I spray spritz and moisturize with smoothie. If not I just braid and twist the end of my hair and put satin cap on.
- Unravel and style in the morning.
Below are some pics
|pic with braids. Yes I do look crazy. lol|
|3rd day day braid-out|
|4th day hair (in car waiting) lol|
|Another pic of 4th day braid-out|
How do you stretch your hair?