My Love for Braid Outs on Natural Hair
While I love and appreciate my hair’s vibe in it shrunken state, I also like to play with my ‘real’ length. If you are a woman with natural curly/kinky hair, then you know shrinkage is a part of life. However we can combat shrinkage in many ways (twist-outs, braid-outs, blow-outs, etc). My go to combat method is braid outs. I love the fact that as the days go on the style looks bigger and better.
I braid my hair at night because if I go to bed. Without doing something I wake up with a shrunken fro. If I am going for that look then its fine.
The picture on the left is the first day of the braid-out and the second picture is the second day. I prefer the second day because it looked fuller and shows more length.
My Braid-Out RoutineHow I did it:
- After hair is cleaned I section my hair (2 in the front, one in the middle, and 2 to the back). I make sure to part the front of my hair how I the hair to fall.
- To each section I spray my spritz. See My Winter Hair Care post for ingredients.
- Add oil of choice and then Moisturize with Shea Moisture Smoothie
- Make 2 braids out of each section. I add a small amount of Organic Aloe Vera Gel to the section and then braid tightly.
- When I have about an inch of hair left I do two strand twists to the end. This makes it curly and nice when they are unraveled. Repeat until head is done.
- Put satin scarf on and head to bed.
- Next day I put oil in my hands and begin unraveling the braids carefully.
- Separate carefully to not cause frizz and you’re DONE!
How I maintain it:
- At night I re-braid but larger this time around. If it feels dry then I spray spritz and moisturize with smoothie. If not I just braid and twist the end of my hair and put satin cap on.
- Unravel and style in the morning.
Below are some pics
|pic with braids. Yes I do look crazy. lol|
|3rd day day braid-out|
|4th day hair (in car waiting) lol|
|Another pic of 4th day braid-out|
How do you stretch your hair?
I was expecting to see smaller braids to get the effect you have. As per your routine, you have a total of 10 braids right? Impressive! I have been struggling a little with my twists out and as a result have been wearing my hair in a puff. I always think I have to do them small to achieve more curls but based on what I am seeing it doesn't look that way, at least with braids. I think I will try braids tonight, thanks for the inspiration!ReplyDelete
Glad I can help HunReplyDelete
Your braid out came out real nice! I wish I could braid:( I'm below average when it comes to braiding but I'm getting better:)ReplyDelete
you don have to be great at braiding. And if you think you are really bad at it then rod it up when your done braiding. You are really trying to get stretched hair.Delete